Don’t get me wrong when I say that. You may be reminded of the scene in “Soylent Green” when Edward G. Robinson left a suicide note that simply said, “I’m going home.” I spoke too soon when I wrote last Tuesday that my chances of staying in Connecticut were pretty good. Twelve hours later I was informed that the company decided to end my assignment; I will turn in my last timecard at 11:30 AM tomorrow. However, this may not be the end of my New England adventure; I could be back in a month or two.
The reason for me leaving has nothing to do with my performance; the company likes me, and I got along with everybody, even the New Yorkers. The problem is that business is still slow. I figured as much, because last year I worked overtime almost every week, while this year I haven’t had any overtime since January. They are expecting business to pick up, though, and when that happens I could be invited back. The general mood in the office is upbeat, even with me leaving, because it does not have to be a permanent departure.
Even better, I just learned that I would lose a big tax break if this job had lasted more than twelve months. So big, in fact, that without it I would not have qualified for a tax refund this year, and it would not have worth it to work in a state as expensive as this one. On the other hand, if I take a break and then accept another assignment, the clock is reset and I can take advantage of that tax break again.
So what will I do now? Well, with Leive, Dad and Brin-Brin in Kentucky, the best thing to do would be to join them. I don’t think Leive would adapt to Connecticut as well as I did, and Dad is the only family member besides myself with meaningful memories from the last time we were here. Therefore I may try once more to sell some LegalShield memberships, but I will do my job hunting in Kentucky, not here. However, I probably won’t leave town immediately, for these reasons:
1. The rent on the apartment is paid up until the end of the month.
2. I still have a bit of Leive’s cooking in the freezer, and I’d rather eat it than try to bring it back.
3. I haven’t gotten the repairs done on the Buick yet. It looks like I can get one of them in the time remaining, most likely the EGR valve, and count on everything else holding together until I reach Kentucky.
4. Without help, it will take a day or two to pack everything and load the car up.
Whereas my first sojourn in Connecticut lasted nineteen months (September 1964-April 1966), it now looks like my second sojourn will be shorter – ten and a half months altogether. Last month I told how a chapter in my life ended with the selling of the family house in Florida; now another chapter is about to end in New England.